Friday, September 13, 2019

START with Yes

Five Minute Friday is one of my favorite things! It keeps me writing and keeps the time investment to a minimum - perfect for my life right now. Every week we get a one word prompt and a whole bunch of us set our timers for five minutes and write on that word. We go back and read each other's posts and leave comments. It is a wonderful encouragement and I have been participating off and on for many years.

This week's word prompt is START:
Timer set - GO

When I START something, it is usually with great passion and enthusiasm. I am a fantastic starter... but not such a great follow through or finisher... so I am STARTing again, from the middle, in the midst of the noise and chaos, with a re-fresh-moment or three to check on my Yes - goals, purpose and planning with a personal retreat this weekend.
The view out of my window this morning. Peace. Beauty. Refresh.

To START is sacred. How many people don't even have the chance to START the things they wanted to, let alone finish them?

I STARTed triathlons because I desperately wanted to finish something, anything, when my kids were younger.

I STARTed school last December because I knew if I didn't get my brain rolling on something important and deadline driven, I would collapse into the usual Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) I get buried in every winter.

I STARTed a new job, to be a part of the community that cared for me.

There are so many reasons to START. But all of it begins with a simple Yes. Yes to my calling - Yes to my purpose. Yes to my family. Yes to my marriage. Yes to the world I live in.

In a culture full of "say Yes to whatever feels good", my Yes is intentional based on my purpose and design.

When I START with Yes, it is a purpose driven choice.

STOP.

I have had decades of coaching and counseling to land solid in my purpose and my design. I help others because others helped me. Staying on track and focused in those areas are key to my physical, mental and emotional health. Let me know if you need help with such things.

Blessings! Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it is easier to start than to finish. I think holding onto the reasons why we said yes in the first place can remind us of why we need to keep going. Visiting from FMF #24.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place for a personal retreat! I hope it's a time of refreshment and encouragement for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this --To START is sacred.
    Yes, what a wonderful way to think about it. That gives us freedom to move forward in obedience. Yes!

    ReplyDelete